Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Thank you to meditation teachers

As I was driving to work listening to a Tara Brach podcast I was appreciating how grateful I am to have such meaningful content to listen to - before I get to work I get reminded of what's really important in my life, what traps I can get into if I let my primitive brain take over my actions. I also occationally listen to Dharma Seed, where I can hear the soothing voice and anecdotes of Sylvia Boorstein and Jack Kornfield. I chuckle at the clever book titles and quotes they come up with: Sylvia's book Don't Just Do Something, Sit There or her sharing how our GPS doesn't yell at us when we make a wrong turn but instead just says "recalculating...".  Jack introduced me to one of my favorite quotes: "I am a very old man and have suffered a great many misfortunes, most of which never happened" by Mark Twain. They all remind us of the wisdom of the Buddha: the four noble truths, dependent origination, the metta sutta - these teachings have helped me greatly. And finally, the Springboard Studio in my neighborhood and the members and teachers who model meditation and community. I believe the more we focus on staying present in the moment and acting from a place of loving kindness, the happier we will be.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home